Huntingdon County Pennsylvania
History & Heritage Roundtable
Presents Our Passport to Enrich Your Visit

The Huntingdon County History & Heritage Roundtable consists of representatives from local historical organizations.
Our group is interested in sharing and preserving the history and heritage of Huntingdon County, PA established in 1787.

The county seat for the area is known as Huntingdon. It is located on the main line of the Norfolk Southern (formerly Pennsylvania) Railway, in an agricultural and outdoor recreational region with extensive forests and scattered deposits of ganister rock, coal, fire clay, and limestone. Historically, the region surrounding Huntingdon was dotted with iron furnaces and forges, consuming limestone, iron ore and wood (for charcoal production) throughout the 19th century. In 1768, Rev. Dr. William Smith began selling lots on the Standing Stone Tract along the Juniata River, land he had recently acquired. The tract's two prior owners had not attempted to lay out a town, thus Dr. Smith is considered to be the founder of Huntingdon. The town of Huntingdon (the name by which Dr. Smith eventually called his town) sits today on a site where once corn fields previously had been cultivated. These fields were next to where Standing Stone Creek flows into the Juniata River. Huntingdon long served as the junction for the Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad as well as the Pennsylvania Railroad. The town was also an important port on the Main Line of Public Works of the Pennsylvania Canal.

Click on the maps below for quick access to county sections.

Historical Society Building at the Huntingdon County Historical Society

Huntingdon County Historical Society

Historical and Genealogical Research

The Huntingdon County Historical Society occupies the William McMurtrie House, which contains an active historical/genealogical research library and a Victorian House Museum. The popular 1887 Little House sits on the grounds, and the adjacent exhibit gallery is home to public programs and exhibits scheduled throughout the year.

Hours: Wednesday 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
or by appointment.

Location: 106 4th Street, Huntingdon, PA 16652
GPS Coordinates:40.484016, -78.010688
Phone: (814) 643-5449
Website: Huntingdon, PA 16652.

Huntingdon County Courthouse

Huntingdon County Courthouse

Huntingdon County est:September 20, 1787

Since the creation of the County, there have been three courthouses. The first Huntingdon County Court House was completed in 1797 and was located in the middle of Third Street on the south side of Penn Street in Huntingdon Borough. After outgrowing this structure and site, a second Court House was erected in 1842 on the site of the present structure, Penn Street between Second and Third Streets. The present Court House was designed by M.E. Beebe of Buffalo, New York in a French Renaissance style. The structure was completed in 1883, with major renovations occurring in the 1930's, a new clock tower, and 1972, addition of office space to the west side of the building and general remodeling to the entire building.

Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM.
223 Penn Street Huntingdon, PA 16652
Phone: (814) 643-5078
Learn more:

Pennsylvania Railroad Old Bridge over Standing Stone Creek, also known as Conrail Old Bridge over Standing Stone Creek

Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge

Old Bridge Over Standing Stone Creek

The Pennsylvania Railroad Old Bridge over Standing Stone Creek, also known as Conrail Old Bridge over Standing Stone Creek, is a historic multi-span stone arch bridge spanning Standing Stone Creek and located at Huntingdon, Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. It was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad between 1848 and 1850. It was in use until 1892, when the main line was relocated onto the former Pennsylvania Canal bed. A second stone arch bridge was constructed nearby for the new alignment and is still in use today. It is located across the street from Blair Park.

GPS: 40° 28′ 51″ N, 78° 0′ 16″ W

Pennsylvania Railroad Old Bridge over Standing Stone Creek, also known as Conrail Old Bridge over Standing Stone Creek

Historic Blair Park

Blair Park is a great mountain biking, hiking, and picnic area

Blair Park is a gift that has lasted generations. Blair Park continues to provide peaceful tranquility along the banks of Standing Stone Creek. Enjoy our gardens, several miles of double-track trail, and our historic structures hidden away just inside the woods.
Open All Year

105 East Penn Street Huntingdon, PA 16652.
or find us on Facebook BlairParkHuntingdon

Isett Heritage Museum

Isett Heritage Museum

Located on scenic Stone Creek Ridge in Huntingdon Pennsylvania

Isett Heritage Museum is home to the area's largest collection of antiques and memorabilia. Explore our themed displays on a fully guided tour or browse the multiple buildings at your leisure. We welcome individuals, organizations, churches, schools, or bus tours. Open year round, handicap accessible, convenient parking for buses or large groups with picnic and dining areas available by reservation.

Winter Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Weekends by Reservation.
Our Summer Hours of Operation: Monday-Saturday 8:00 AM  - 5:00 PM and Sunday 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Henderson Township 11941, Stone Creek Ridge Rd, Huntingdon, PA 16652
(814) 643-9600

Hunt Tower

Hunt Tower

Built during the second phase of the modernization | Now the Huntingdon County Chamber of Commerce

Hunt Interlocking, a brick and frame structure, housed a Union Switch and Signal machine to control a revised interlocking and interchange with the Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad and Coal Company (Reporting marks HBTM). The HBTM was a coal hauler chartered in the 1850′s to tap the rich semi-bituminous coal deposits and provide shippers in the Cumberland, Maryland area providing an alternative to the B&O's monopoly on train service.
PRR Hunt tower has been inactive for some time but remains standing. It was operated for a short time as a museum but now houses offices.

500 Allegheny Street Huntingdon, PA 16652.
Located next to the old train station.

Juniata College Museum of Art

Juniata College Museum of Art

Small Museum | Big Ideas

Changing exhibitions present work from the 19th century to the present day in an historic Beaux-Arts structure featuring a Tiffany-style dome. We invite your responses and participation every day and through occasional workshops. Find out more about our current offerings at
September – April (closed during college recesses)

Monday & Thursday: 2:00 - 8:00 PM. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM Saturday: Noon - 4:00 PM
June - August Hours:
Wednesday - Thursday: 2:00 - 8:00 PM Friday: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Corner of Moore and 17th Streets Huntingdon, PA 16652.
Learn more at Museum of Art

Swigart Museum

Swigart Museum | William E. Swigart Jr. Automobile Museum

The oldest Automobile Museum in America

The Swigart Museum is the oldest automobile museum in America. There are 30 to 35 cars on display rotated from a larger collection. When visiting you will see two Tucker's, and Herbie The Love Bug. In addition to the cars the museum displays bicycles, horns, lights, license plates from every state, name badges from numerous cars, trains, toys, and more.

Open Memorial Day Weekend - October. Hours of Operation: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM everyday

Location: 12031 William Penn Highway (Rt. 22), Huntingdon, PA 16652
Address: PO Box 214 Huntingdon, PA 16652
Phone: (814) 643-0885

Huntingdon County Farm Museum

Huntingdon County Fair Farm Museum

The Largest Farm Museum is filled with old-time treasures in Pennsylvania

Our farm and country living museum began with the dream of Jim and Barb McMath in a little 20'x20' building at the Huntingdon County Fair in 1987. Today we are in a 60'x232' building and will soon be adding another building to our museum.
When you come visit you would think you are walking into a machinery shed, but as you walk through the door you are met with a fantastic display of over 5000 items from the late 1800's to the mid 1900's. We can't describe it all, so we invite you to COME and SEE.

The Farm Museum is open free and informally to visitors Thursdays 10:00 am. to 4:00 pm during the late spring and summer months and then when the fair opens daily with fair admission.

Location: 10455 Fairgrounds Access RD Huntingdon, PA 16652.
GPS: 40°28'19"N 78°02'19"W"
Phone: (814) 643-0364
Facebook Page: Huntingdon County Farm Museum

Huntingdon County Visitors Bureau

Huntingdon County Visitors Bureau

Raystown Lake Region

The Huntingdon County Visitors Bureau can keep you informed of the Raystown Lake Region of Pennsylvania. The Region has opportunities aplenty to breathe in the fresh air, walk through the forest or enjoy the unspoiled shoreline scenery of Raystown Lake. So bring your boots, kayak, mountain bike and fishing pole to really get the most out of your time in Huntingdon County. You will find many spots to relax and unwind that are free to access.

May - August Open Daily 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
September - April
Sunday - Mondays 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
Tuesday - Saturday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

6993 Seven Points Road Hesston, PA 16647
(888) 729-7869

Captain Phillips Rangers Memorial

Captain Phillips Rangers Memorial

In 1926 an impressive monument, still standing today, was constructed

The Captain Phillips Rangers Memorial was donated by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission in cooperation with Liberty Township Supervisors. It is the site of a mass grave of 10 militiamen, part of Captain William Phillips Rangers killed by Native Americans on July 16, 1780.

Location: The GPS coordinates of the monument site are N40.260048, W78.266474

Hours: Open daily sunrise to sunset.

For more information: Captain Phillips Monument

Balanced Rock

Trough Creek State Park

See Rainbow Bridge and Balanced Rock And The Old Ice Mine

The 541-acre Trough Creek State Park is a scenic gorge formed as Great Trough Creek cuts through Terrace Mountain before emptying into Raystown Lake. Rugged hiking trails lead to wonders like Balanced Rock and Rainbow Falls.

The park is open every day of the year, sunrise to sunset. Day use areas close at dusk.
10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Daily.

16362 Little Valley Road James Creek, PA 16657-9302
GPS DD: Lat. 40.31192 Long. -78.12984
Phone: (814) 658-3847
Website: TroughCreekStatePark

Paradise Furnace

Paradise Furnace

Once known as Mary Anne Furnace and Trough Creek

Trough Creek Furnace stack dates back to the 1830, and is a 28-square-foot coursed rubble stone structure. In 1832 it was renamed Mary Anne Furnace and operated under that name until 1843 when the name was changed to Paradise Furnace. The furnace was  first used to produce pig iron into bar iron. During 1843 good iron was produced using coke as fuel at the furnace, which only lasted for one month due to the lack of and high cost of coke. The furnace continued  smelting iron with charcoal until 1852. In the 1860s it operated during the Civil War due to the demand for iron, but because of the economic downturn after the war it closed permanently in 1867.
The furnace and the park is open every day of the year, sunrise to sunset. Day use areas close at dusk. The furnace location is available at the park office.
10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Daily.

16362 Little Valley Road James Creek, PA 16657-9302
GPS DD: Lat. 40.31192 Long. -78.12984
Phone: (814) 658-3847
Website: TroughCreekStatePark/Pages/History

Dudley Station

H & BT Historic Site, Dudley

The H&BT went out of existence on March 31, 1954

Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad (H&BT) was chartered on May 6, 1852, for the purpose of developing and transporting semi-bituminous coal from the Broad Top Mountain and Coal Field situated in the corners of Huntingdon, Bedford and Fulton Counties of south-central Pennsylvania. By the end of 1855, 24 miles of the H&BT main line had been opened with trains in service from Huntingdon to Saxton, where the Shoup's Run branch line was extended to Dudley. Today the small community station is maintained by a small group of volunteers that are responsible for the repairs and upgrades of the station.

Address: PO Box 245 Dudley, PA 16634
Phone: (814) 635-3875
Dudley site is located in Dudley at the corner of Main St. and Washington St. in Dudley, Huntingdon County at 40°12'23.5"N 78°10'41.3"W

Broad Top Area Coal Miners Museum and Historical Society

Broad Top Area Coal Miners Museum and Historical Society

Established in 1990

The Broad Top Area Coal Miners Museum is housed in the former Robertsdale United Methodist Church. The museum contains a large collection of mining memorabilia that focuses on the coal mining and steam railroading history and heritage of the tri-county Broad Top Region of south-central Pennsylvania. Call for group tours and special activities.

Location: 105 Church Street, Robertsdale, PA 16674

Hours: May - October
Saturdays 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM and Sundays 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM.
Open all year for private tours of 20 or more guests by appointment. Admission: Adults $5, and children $3.

Phone: (814) 907-1788 or (814) 635-7247 (weekends only)

Robertsdale Railroad Station

Friends Of The East Broad Top Robertsdale Museum

Historic Railroad Station Museum

In the heart of the coal-mining town of Robertsdale, the Friends of the East Broad Top operate a museum in the East Broad Top Railroad's former station, with artifacts, maps, and volunteers eager to describe the history of the railroad and the Rockhill Coal Company. The station faces what was known as the company square, across the street from the former coal company office building and across the tracks from the Old Post Office, into which the museum will eventually expand.
The museum is open to the public on the first and third weekend of each month from May through September.

Hours: Hours on those weekends are Saturdays from 10 AM to 5 PM and Sundays from 1 PM to 4 PM

Friends of the East Broad Top Robertsdale Museum (FEBT)
550 Main St, Robertsdale, PA P.O. Box 68
Robertsdale, PA 16674
Phone: (814) 635-2388

Three Springs Area Historical Society

Three Springs Area Historical Society

We Enjoy Sharing Our History

The Three Springs Area Historical Society was founded in 1987, and is now located in the two-story brick building that was built in 1912 as the First National Bank of Three Springs. We have a multi-room museum, and a research library, and are open free to the public by appointment.

Location: 8384 Ashman Street, Three Springs, PA 17264
Address: PO Box 50 Three Springs, PA 17264
Phone: (814) 448-3764 - Roy Stevens, Curator


Pogue Station

Pogue Station

Circa: 1880's

Pogue Station; Pogue Post Office; J. R. Rutter's Cash Store.
Pogue - The farm house formerly known as Pogue Station started life as an EBT RR Station "Pogue Station #14", then combined with J. R. Rutter's Cash Store and Pogue Post Office.

Open By Appointment Only

Location: 20,096 Spring Creek Rd. Three Springs, PA 17264
GPS: 40.210696, -77.930246
Phone: (717) 658-1393 - Brian Hoffman


Coulter School House

Coulter School

Authentic One Room School House Located on the Campus of the Southern Huntingdon School District

The Coulter School is an authentic one-room school living history museum. Teachers are invited to bring a class to spend the day and experience the one-room, all grades experience and follow the curriculum of the days past.

Hours of Operation: By Appointment Only.

Location: 10339 Pogue Road, Three Springs, PA 17264
Address: Southern Huntingdon County School District 10339 Pogue Road, Three Springs, PA 17264

Take a video tour of Coulter School

Phone: (814) 447-5529 or find us online

Rockhill Trolley Museum

Rockhill Trolley Museum

Pennsylvania's First Operating Trolley Museum

Take a step back in time, when we traveled by electric streetcar. Enjoy a leisurely ride through the scenic countryside. Visit our museum, located in Rockhill Furnace, PA. You and your family or tour group can learn about trolleys and see historic cars being restored in our shops. Become one of our talented volunteers, bring your friends to our special events, or become a member and enjoy exclusive outings!

Hours: Saturdays and Sundays, Memorial Day weekend through October.
11:00 AM until 4:15 PM

430 Meadow Street, Rockhill Furnace, PA 17249
Phone: (814) 447-9576 weekends or (601) 428-7200 weekdays

East Broad Top Railroad

East Broad Top Railroad


Built from 1872 to 1874 to bring coal and iron ore to a big new iron furnace, the 33-mile East Broad Top Railroad is the only American narrow-gauge railroad to survive east of the Rocky Mountains. It was recently purchased by a new nonprofit foundation created specifically preserve this National Historic Landmark and reopen it to the public. In 2020 the railroad and the Friends of the East Broad Top plan to offer occasional rides and tours of the circa-1905 machine shops while overhauls continue on the EBT steam locomotives — check the railroad's website for dates. The Rockhill Trolley Museum is next door.
Hours: Check our website for dates.

Location: 421 Meadow Street
Address: P.O. Box 158
Phone: (814) 447-3285
Website: for more information.

Orbisonia Rockhill Furnace Historical Society

Orbisonia | Rockhill Furnace Historical Society

Rich History of Orbisonia and Rockhill Furnace - The Twin Boroughs

Nestled in the green ridges of south central Pennsylvania, lie the twin boroughs of Orbisonia and Rockhill Furnace. Rich in industrial history, fertile farmland, thick forests, and abundant streams, the valley in which the twin boroughs are found is believed to have once been a famous Indian hunting ground and campsite.

Hours: by appointment.

Location: Orbisonia, PA 17243
Address: PO Box 382, Orbisonia, PA 17243
Phone: (814) 447-5668 - Nin Hiles, President

Fort Shirley Heritage Association Museum


fort Shirley | Heritage Association Museum

During the mid-1750s, the mountainous ridges and valleys of south central Pennsylvania were an important theater for colliding European and Native American cultures. The "no man's land" of the time

To reveal the location of Fort Shirley, it is necessary to understand the cultural and geographical significance of the settled land adjacent to the fort. A substantial settlement, Aughwick Old Town, developed around George Croghan's homestead, a place where Native Americans and whites conducted trade and found refuge.

Hours: by appointment.

Location: 16858 West Street Shirleysburg, PA 17260
Address: Po Box 40 Shirleysburg, PA 17260
To schedule an appointment please contact either:

Sally Love Phone: (814) 447-3968 Nancy Keppler Phone: (814) 447-3524

Newton Wayne Historical Society

Newton | Wayne Historical Society

Their collection includes photographs, written and oral histories as well as artifacts relating to the surrounding area

The Newton-Wayne Historical Society was formed in 1993, a product of Newton Hamilton Borough's sesquicentennial celebration that year and since then has actively maintained their headquarters in a nineteenth century school building owned by the borough. Following incorporation, they became tax exempt having 501(c)3 status.
The society focuses on the collection and preservation of the history of Newton Hamilton Borough and Wayne Township located in Western Mifflin County, Pa. Both the Penn's. Mainline Canal and the Pennsylvania Railroad passed directly through the borough & township and dramatically impacted the development of the area. Relics of both these industries are on display.

Hours: by appointment.

Location: 766 Water Street, Newton Hamilton, PA 17075
Address: P.O. Box 150, Newton Hamilton, PA 17075
Phone: (814) 658-3580

Bricktown Model Railroad Association Museum

Bricktown | Model Railroad Association Museum

On display are artifacts and a model railroad layout depicting the area in the 1940's and 1950's

The Bricktown Museum celebrates the railroad and industrial history of Mount Union and surrounding areas. You will learn about the substantial railroad operations centered in Mount Union many years ago.

Hours: Tuesday and Thursday 6 PM to 8:30 PM, Saturday 9 AM to 3 PM.

Address: 300 West Small Street, Mount Union, PA 17066
Phone: (814) 386-4385

Mount Union Historical Society

Mount Union Area | Historical Society

Mount Union Area Historical Society was created to preserve the heritage and culture of the Mount Union area

The Sharrar Stone House has rotating displays from the area. The house was built by John Sharrar in 1841 as a dwelling and store along the Pennsylvania Canal. The Abram Price House at 22 w. Water St. holds our archives, photographs and genealogy for research. Some of our industrial artifacts are displayed at the Bricktown Museum at 300 w. Small St.

Hours: by appointment.

Location: West Water Street Mount Union, PA 17066
Address: PO Box 118 Mount Union, PA 17066
Phone: (814) 542-2534 Contact Murray Africa

Jack's Narrows from 1000 steps

Jack's Narrows

Jack's Narrows William Penn Hwy (Rt. 22) East

Jack's Narrows where the Juniata River cuts a gap in Jack's Mountain, is the deepest gorge in Pennsylvania. The narrows is deep in history and folklore and is easily accessible. Backpackers , cyclists , motorists and hunters can explore Jack's Narrows using the Standing Stone trail and State Game Lands 71 and 112. Anglers can also enjoy Jack Narrows from the Juniata River. An exciting adventure for all outdoor enthusiasts. The peaks of Jacks Mountain on the south side of the gorge is just over 2,120 feet in elevation, and 2.9 miles away on the north of the gorge is just over 2,320 feet. The river surface of the Juniata River drops from 566 feet above sea level at Mapleton to 545 Feet above sea level 3.3 miles downstream at Mount Union. That makes the gorge nearly 1/3 mile deep! The launches open up Jack's Narrows to access for paddle sports, fishing and leisurely inner-tube floating. The facilities and distance between them make this the first and best recommendation for inner-tube floating in Huntingdon County. This stretch of the Juniata River is gentle and easily navigated by paddlers of all experience levels.

Jack's Narrows Boat Launch Locations: 13412 Oriskany Rd, Mapleton, PA

999 North Division Street, Mount Union PA

Jack's Narrows from 1000 steps

A Thousand Steps

A Thousand Steps William Penn Hwy. (Rt. 22) West

The Thousand Step's amidst the rugged grandeur of Jack's Narrows. There are actually 1,043 steps in the Thousand Steps Trail. The mining history in this area is very rich as sand was the most popular resource mined from Jacks Mountain. The Thousand Steps were constructed about 1936 by Harbison-Walker employees. The sand mined from the mountain was used for silica bricks which were heat resistant and at one point, Jacks Mountain was known as "The Silica Brick Capital of the World." A challenging hike today, the steps were a commute to a long and difficult workday in Ledge Quarry.

Today managed by the Standing Stone Trail Club, it includes threatened species, unusual fossils, a diversity of plant and wildlife, and about 84 miles of the Mid State Tuscarora Link Hiking Trail. Please respect the fragility of the natural and cultural features and enjoy your visit.

Address: A Thousand Steps - 40.41680°N / 77.8994°W

Mapleton, PA

Mapleton - Union Area Historical Society

Historical Records, Newspaper collection, photographs and more

We have a small building set on the site of the old IOOF building on Main Street. The building houses many items and memories from our past, instruments used by the Community Band, and a copy of the World War II memorial to the military members of the area.

Hours: By Appointment

Location: 488 Main Street, Mapleton Depot, PA 17052
GPS:40.3922 - 77.9402
Phone: (814) 251-3756

Mapleton, PA

Kishacoquillas Valley Historical Society

Colections of Local Artifacts from Amish, Mennonite, Scots-Irish, and German Ancestry

Museum and 1830's Bank Barn Hours: Both the museum and barn are open April through November on the second and fourth Saturday and Monday of the month from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM or by appointment. There will be a member available to help with genealogy searches during these hours also. Admission is free but donations are accepted and appreciated as we are a totally volunteer organization. We are closed on holidays. The society encourages all to contact us for tours for your family, school or organization. We look forward to seeing you and sharing the history of the Kishacoquillas Valley.

Hours: Also By Appointment

Location: 38 East Main Street. P.O. Box 43 Allensville, PA 17002
Phone: (717) 483-6525

Greenwood Furnace

Greenwood Furnace | State Park

Greenwood Furnace State Park covers 423 acres, including a six-acre lake, campground, hiking trails, and a historic district.

Greenwood Furnace State Park is the site of a 19th century charcoal iron furnace and village. In 1906, the state established a tree nursery on the site to regrow the denuded forests, and in 1924, the park was established. Today, the heritage of Greenwood Furnace is interpreted through displays of artifacts and educational programs.

Our Hours of Operation: Daily 8 am to sunset

Address: 15795 Greenwood Road, Huntingdon, PA 16652
GPS Coordinates: Latitude 40.65047 Longitude -77.75439
Phone: (814) 667-1800


Monroe Furnace

Monroe Furnace

The remains of Monroe Furnace sit just off of state route 26, in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania,

Monroe Furnace was established in 1846-47 by General James Irvin, a prominent Centre County iron-master, who was associated with ten iron works in that county, and two in Huntingdon County. Despite his long experience and notable success in the iron business, he was unable to withstand the economic depression of the mid-1850s, and was forced to retire from the iron business in 1857. In 1850, Irvin employed 50 men at Monroe Furnace, producing 958 tons of pig iron valued at $21,000; but by 1851, the assessed value of the enterprise had been reduced from $11,000 to $3,000. By 1855, Monroe was sold to George W. Johnston & Co. of Boalsburg. Johnston established a foundry to produce cast iron stoves, said to be of superior quality. Under his name the operation continued until 1864, when it was acquired by the Freedom Iron Co., owners of Greenwood Furnace. The foundry operated until 1864.

Location: Jct. PA 26 and Legislative Rt. 31076 6 mi. NW of McAlevy's Fort, PA United States

GPS Location: N 40° 41.757 W 077° 53.617

Manor Hill Presbyterian Church

Manor Hill Presbyterian Church

Presbyterian Church of Shaver's Creek Manor at Manor Hill, PA

The Shaver's Creek Presbyterian Church and Cemetery at Manor Hill is owned by the Huntingdon County Historical Society. Built in 1825, it is the oldest surviving church in Huntingdon Presbytery, a six-county area. The church retains its original straight-back pews and cast-iron stoves made at local iron furnaces. A morning worship service is held annually in August.

Hours of Operation: By appointment

Address: Route 305 at Manor Hill and Westley Chapel Roads.
GPS:40.484016, -78.010688
Phone: Huntingdon County Historical Society (814) 643-5449


Warriors Mark Area Historical Society

Warriors Mark Area Historical Society

Warriors Mark Area Historical Society is located in the Lowrie Schoolhouse, a landmark of our community.

The land and building were graciously donated to the society. The Lowrie Schoolhouse was built in the 1860's by the carpenter Balzer Rumberger as a private school for the Lowrie children of the Lowrie family. It has been a Warriors Mark landmark ever since the days when they, and the other children of the town crossed the street from the old Lowrie Mansion to learn the "three R's". Although Mr. Lowrie had the school built for his own offspring, the other youngsters in town were invited to attend.

Hours of Operation: By appointment

Location: 1826 Centre Line Road, Warriors Mark, PA 16877
Address: PO Box 54 Warriors Mark, PA 16877
GPS: 40.705218, -78.124832
Phone: (814) 632-8465 or (814) 386-2774


Old Keller Reformed Church

Old Keller Reformed Church

The Church is kept closed all year, except for the first Sunday each August

The land donated by John Keller lies in Blair County, near the border of Huntingdon County. Legend has it that the Church foundation is built on remnants of the revolutionary site of Fort Lowry. The cornerstone was laid on August 11, 1846 and the building dedicated on January 22, 1847. It soon became a spiritual center for the lives of this rural community until 1926.
The structure is a rare and wonderful example of church architecture of the time. Built with bricks made on site and a planked wooden double entryway, one for men, the other women, it reveals its German heritage.
The Church is kept closed all year, except for the first Sunday each August, when the doors are then opened wide to show off its bright walls, many rows of straight back pews, and two imposing black pot-bellied stoves that must have taken the chill off many a cold and crisp winter morning.

Hours of Operation: First Sunday in August
Or by appointment - Lonnie Smith (814) 386-3323

Address: Keller Church, Canoe Valley, Catharine Township, Blair County, PA. Located 14 miles east of Hollidaysburg on Rt 22, turn right on Fox Run Road for 1/2 mile and Church and Cemetery are located on the hillside on the right.

Lower Trail

Lower Trail

The Lower Trail is a 16.5-mile rail trail that follows the Juniata River

Trail flows for almost 17 miles along the banks of the Frankstown Branch of the Juniata River. In the early 1800s, this was part of the Pennsylvania Main Line Canal. Later in the century, it became part of the Pennsylvania Railroad system. Today, it is a nearly level rail-trail with fascinating historical features such as canal remnants, an iron plantation and a covered bridge.

Location: From east to west, the Lower Trail begins in Alfarata and goes through four other "stations" (trailheads) before ending in Flowing Spring.

Address: PO Box 592 Hollidaysburg PA
GPS:40.484016, -78.010688
Phone: (814) 317-9728


Barree Forge

Barree Forge & Furnace

Barree Forge and Furnace, now known as Greene Hills Methodist Camp, is a national historic district located in northern Huntingdon County along the Little Juniata River in Porter Township in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. It consists of two contributing buildings, one contributing site, and one contributing structure associated with a former ironworks.

The furnace stack dates to 1864 and is a 30-foot square, freestanding, coursed limestone furnace stack which show serious deterioration of its southwest and southeast walls, now standing only 6-15 feet in height. The semi-circular casting and tuyere arches, on the northeast and northwest faces respectively, are intact.

Address: Greene Hills 5125 Manor Dr, Alexandria, Pennsylvania 16611

Website: FacebookPage

Petersburg Heritage Museum

Petersburg heritage Museum

The museum is located in the Petersburg Town Hall

The Petersburg Heritage Museum was reopened in 2014 as a community minded non-profit organization serving the borough of Petersburg, Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania and surrounding areas. It is a project of the Petersburg Community Development Association, Inc. We welcome people of all ages to join our community mission to document, preserve, protect, educate, and promote the history and heritage of our wonderful community Petersburg, Pennsylvania.

Hours of Operation: By appointment

Address: 316 King St, PO BOX 197 Petersburg, Pennsylvania 16669
Phone: (814) 669-9494 - Guy Croyle
Website: Facebook Page

Hartslog Museum

Hartslog Heritage Museum

Featuring the Famous Hartslog Day The 2nd Saturday in October

The Hartslog Heritage Museum was founded in 1976 following America's Bicentennial celebration. It showcases many artifacts from the Hartslog area which expanded to include the town of Alexandria and the Juniata Valley area. There are displays including a country store, a doctor's office, a Victorian parlor, a train station and a post office.

Hours of Operation: First Sunday of the month, 2:00PM - 4:00PM.
Or By Appointment by calling (814) 207-1410

Location: Second floor of Alexandria Memorial Public Library
313 Main St, Alexandria, PA 16611
And the museum owns the former Alexandria Bank Building across the street from library, and the train station behind the library.

GPS:40.557546, -78.099479

Address: P.O. Box 3 Alexandria PA 16611
Phone: Alexandria Memorial Public Library (814) 669-4313

Museum Website:

Hartslog Day Festival Website:

Historical Sites Worth Visiting

This section is tour on your own location sites
from furnaces to cemeteries.

Huntingdon County History & Heritage Passport

Download your free printable copy of our passport and start visiting our historical sites. Some locations may lack cellular coverage.